Can you really make a difference?
The latest data available indicates that suicide is a leading cause of death for people between the ages of 10-64. Suicide was the second leading cause of death in 2020 for people ages 10-14 and 25-34. (X) In fact, young people are twice as likely to die from suicide than to die WITH Covid. (X)
suicides are double the homicide rate
I'm afraid numbers keep on reflecting the bleak reality with inhabit... How could this be the case? Young people, with all the conveniences and perks this society provides, do not want to be here anymore. Causes for suicide are often complex but there is one central feature that cannot be overlooked.
People who commit suicide feel powerless
What does "powerless" mean?
unable to produce an effect
lacking power to act; helpless
So, effectively, people who have committed or think about committing suicide, view their role in life as meaningless and lacking any kind of substance. Indeed, they feel that no matter what they do or say, things will stay the same. Why? In the age of so-called racial equality, gender affirmation, tolerance and empathy, an obvious obstacle for happiness has emerged: hypocrisy. Career politicians and self-righteous activists sell false hopes of self-actualization: you can be who you want to be, you have the right to do what you want to do.
Well, not so fast. They talk a good game, but they forget to tell you that it is all an illusion. At the end of the day, they don't want that. They want you to believe it, but they know they are selling a smoke screen. What is self-actualization?
Self-actualization is a concept regarding the process by which an individual reaches his or her full potential. (X)
This idea emanates from the Hierarchy of Needs developed by Maslow. According to Maslow, the most basic needs such as food, shelter, security, need to be fulfilled before reaching this almost utopic state of being. That is, once these are covered, we, as humans, can find purpose or meaning. Purpose and meaning are at the core of self-actualization, and today there are a lot of people who are not able to find any. Purpose and meaning imbue a variety of concepts that somehow escape our culture nowadays: (X)
Self-actualized individuals are efficient in how they perceive reality: Sadly, mainstream media and social media algorithms make it almost impossible to separate reality from fiction.
• Self-actualized individuals accept themselves and others. The hardest part, no doubt is the acceptance of oneself. Once you are able to do that, you are not so bothered by what the next person is doing. I am okay and you are okay.
• Self-actualized individuals are able to form deep relationships. That is probably one of the hardest conditions to achieve! Digital "communication" and social media platforms are NOT conducive to forming deep relationships. They are not a substitute for true human connections. They wet your whistle and they leave you thirsty.
• Self-actualized individuals appreciate life. So hard to do when institutions and people in charge are so obviously flawed.
• Self-actualized individuals are guided by their own inner goals and values. They do not mindlessly attach to almost any cause in order to be a part of something. And finally...
• Self-actualized individuals are able to express emotions freely and clearly. This is possibly one of the most challenging tasks. In the age of misinformation, disinformation and censorship, people's voices are not being heard. Let me clarify, you are not allowed to express emotions freely and clearly. Make no mistake: Cancel culture and political correctness will get you.
It is clear then, why people are feeling so powerless. You want to make a difference, but you can't. So, is there a prescription to fight this sense of void and emptiness? I would argue true human connection and communication need to be reestablished. We can yell and scream all we want at how unfair and disjointed life is but that will not make it better. The only foolproof way to improve our existence is to form genuine connections and this is not achieved by little "thumbs," messages or tweets.
Make a difference in your life and reach out. Take a step toward self-actualization and connect with someone. Although the feeling of powerlessness is real, you can weaken some of its pull by truly connecting. Don't let the opportunity pass you by, Z Form makes this easier than ever.
For more information about suicide and the opioid epidemic, please check out our friends at Bicycle Health: https://www.bicyclehealth.com/blog/opioid-use-disorder-suicide